Founders Cemetery, Marker #56
Abial (often spelled Abiel) was born in 1809 and died in 1882—facts we have learned solely from his grave marker. He married, probably about 1832, Mary Ellis who is buried next to him. They had ten known children.
Abial is a descendant of Jonathan Crosby, who came to Yarmouth in June of 1761 as one of the original five families to settle here from New England. Jonathan was married to Hannah Hamblin, who is a Mayflower descendant, so Abial’s family were among the first European settlers to arrive in Yarmouth, and among the first to arrive in what is now Massachusetts.
Abial’s gravestone is the source of the logo of the Old Beaver River and Port Maitland Cemeteries Preservation Society. The weeping willow symbol is an older representation on many stones found in New England, but not frequently here in Nova Scotia, except here in Yarmouth County. The willow tree image is on grave markers in all three cemeteries the Old Beaver River and Port Maitland Cemeteries Preservation Society maintains.
More information about Abial, his parents, and the children of Abial and Mary may be found in the Old Stones Family Group Sheet Index.
Please leave a comment if you have information about him, particularly the specific dates of his birth, marriage and death.
Ahnentafel of Abial Crosby
A descendant of Mayflower Passengers: Isaac Allerton and Richard Warren
(only a guide; sources not given; all information should be verified)
1. Abial Crosby, b 1809; d 1882; bur Founders Cemetery, Beaver River, Yarmouth Co N.S.; descendant of Mayflower passengers: Mary, Isaac & Mary (Norris) Allerton; and Richard Warren; m Mary Ellis.
2. Jonathan Crosby, b 27 Apr 1776; m Mary Churchill.
3. Mary Churchill, b Yarmouth Township N.S. 21 Aug 1779; d 23 Apr 1848; descendant of Mayflower passengers: Mary, Isaac & Mary (Norris) Allerton; and Richard Warren.
4. Ebenezer Crosby, d 26 Feb 1826; m Yarmouth Township N.S. 8 Sep 1774 Elizabeth Robinson by Rev. Jonathan Scott.
5. Elizabeth Robinson, b 17 Jun 1750; d 27 Jul 1837.
6. Ezra Churchill, b abt 1758 (d age 85); d 24 Nov 1843; bur Chebogue Cemetery, Yarmouth Co N.S.; descendant of Mayflower passengers: Mary, Isaac & Mary (Norris) Allerton; and Richard Warren; m Yarmouth Township 6 May 1779 Mary Roberts by Rev. Jonathan Scott.
7. Mary Roberts, b abt 1760; d 1845; bur Chebogue Cemetery, Yarmouth Co N.S.
8. Jonathan Crosby, link to Jonathan, his wife Hannah, and their ancestors.
10. Jabez Robinson.
12. Lemuel Churchill, b Plymouth Mass. 12 Jul 1723; d 19 Dec 1800; bur Chebogue Cemetery, Yarmouth Co N.S.; immigrated to Chebogue 1762; Yarmouth Township N.S.; descendant of Mayflower passengers: Mary, Isaac & Mary (Norris) Allerton; and Richard Warren; m Abigail Ryder.
13. Abigail Ryder, b 1726; d 8 Aug 1792; bur Chebogue Cemetery, Yarmouth Co N.S.
24. Barnabas Churchill, b Plymouth, Plymouth Colony 3 Jul 1686; d Plymouth 24 May 1760; m Plymouth 4 Feb 1714 Lydia Harlow.
25. Lydia Harlow, bapt Plymouth, Mass. Bay 1693; descendant of Mayflower passengers: Mary, Isaac & Mary (Norris) Allerton; and Richard Warren.
26. Benjamin Rider, b 1693; m Hannah Rider.
27. Hannah Rider.
48. Joseph Churchill, b Plymouth, Plymouth Colony 1647; m Plymouth 3 Jun 1672 Sarah Hicks.
49. Sarah Hicks.
50. William Harlow, b Plymouth, Plymouth Colony 2 Jun 1657; d Plymouth 28 Jan 1711/12; descendant of Mayflower passenger Richard Warren; m Plymouth abt Jan 1682/83 Lydia Cushman.
51. Lydia Cushman, b Plymouth, Plymouth Colony abt 1662; d Plymouth 11 Feb 1718/19; descendant of Mayflower passengers: Mary, Isaac & Mary (Norris) Allerton.
52. Samuel Rider, b abt 1631; bapt All Saints Parish, Northampton England 25 Nov 1632; d Plymouth, Mass. Bay 18 Jul 1715; m Taunton, Plymouth Colony 14 Jun 1680 Lydia Tilden.
53. Lydia Tilden.
96. John Churchill. link to John, his wife Hannah, and their ancestors.
98. Samuel Hicks, m 11 Sep 1645 Lydia Doane.
99. Lydia Doane.
100. William Harlow, link to William, his wife Rebecca, and their ancestors.
102. Thomas Cushman, link to Thomas, his wife Mary, and their ancestors.
104. Samuel Rider, link to Samuel, his wife Anne, and their ancestors.106. Joseph Tilden.
196. Robert Hicks, m Margaret —?—.
197. Margaret —?—.
198. John Doane, b abt 1590; d Eastham, Plymouth Colony 1685; m Ann Perkins?.
199. Ann Perkins?.
 An ahnentafel (ancestor table) is a family tree without a chart. #1 is the source person, #2 is that person’s father, whose father is #4. To follow the father’s direct paternal ancestry double the number each time to #8, 16, 32 etc. The mother of the source person is #3 (the wife is always one number higher than the husband) whose father is #6, whose father is #12, again doubling in the same way as the father’s generations. #7 will be the source person’s her maternal grandmother whose father will be #14, whose father will be #28 and so on. With the exception of the source person, even numbers are male and uneven numbers are female. Uneven numbers usually introduce a new surname into the family tree.